Title: Vice President of Sales
Reports to: CEO
Location: Orange County, CA
About the Company
OUR VISION IS TO BE KNOWN AS THE MOST ADVENTUROUS AND INNOVATIVE CRAFT BREWERY IN THE WORLD.
The Bruery is one of the nation’s most prominent boutique craft breweries, located in Orange County, CA. The company goes to market under two separate brands: The Bruery and Offshoot Beer Co, each with a high-quality, unique offering. The Bruery specializes in taste driven experimental ales and craft lagers. Offshoot Brewing Co. is the company’s newest brand that focuses on approachable beers that fit a relaxed lifestyle. While each of our brands are known for certain tastes or styles, it’s our brewing prowess and creativity that creates our opportunities.
The company has built a strong following among a passionate base of members and fans, and over half of The Bruery’s overall sales are direct-to-consumer through the company’s society membership programs, Orange County tasting rooms, and our Washington DC store. These direct-to-consumer channels drive high engagement and allow The Bruery to generate attractive margins. The cornerstone of the DTC offering is the Societies, or membership program that gives the business a community of likeminded members and of course recurring revenue streams.
To know what sets us apart, you have to understand how we started; just Patrick Rue in his kitchen with a thirst for knowledge and a passion for how interesting beer can be. It was this passion and his insatiable curiosity that led him to open a brewery, build a team of talented like-minded brewers and earn the title of Master Cicerone, with the help of his world class palate. At The Bruery, we live at the intersection of tradition and bold creativity, with taste as our compass.
We are easily inspired, if not easily impressed. We take our inspiration from the culinary world, traditional beer styles, natural ingredients, vineyards and even junk food. An interesting beer can make a moment special, and a special moment can spark the inspiration for an interesting beer. Taste and memory go hand in hand, and we let our taste guide us to create beers that deliver timeless and traditional flavors, while also pushing the boundaries of what you thought beer could be. One could say our brewing style has range, but we’ll leave that up to you. We’re explorers at heart, passionate about the art and science of taste, and could never be satisfied brewing just one style of beer.
We believe this makes life a little more interesting. Our beers start conversations, complement meals, and bring people together. You can trust our beers because of the knowledge and expertise that we’ve built, but it’s our creative approach that will change your idea of what beer can be.
The Bruery goes to market in three distinct channels; On-line/DTC, Tasting Rooms, and Wholesale distribution.
Reporting to the CEO, the VP of Sales will be a key member of The Bruery Leadership Team and will oversee the sales teams and distributor network. This role will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of a strategic sales plan that will meet the organization’s revenue and profit goals. The ideal VP of Sales will be an innovative strategic partner, an influential leader, have a proven track record of building and maintaining sales goals and be a business driver instrumental in helping to develop The Bruery’s strategic goals.
The VP Sales is an entrepreneurial role within an entrepreneurial company and will partner closely with the leadership team, the marketing team, as well as employees of all levels across the business.
- Act as a trusted leader within the organization and build a winning sales team
- Develop and execute sales training and operating model for a growth oriented sales team
- Work closely with the Leadership Team to execute the vision of The Bruery & Offshoot Beer Co through the distribution channels.
- Establish and achieve annual and monthly sales objectives in coordination with the Company’s business plan
- Develop, optimize and implement sales and pricing strategies.
- Own sales forecasting and projections, ensuring marketing and business plans are aligned.
- Monitor and analyze sales and marketing activity against goals, reporting progress to sales and leadership team (through the S&OP process).
- Strengthen and further develop the company’s distributor network.
- Build the brands through key retail accounts across all types (Independent, Chain, On/Off Premise, etc.).
- Own the Annual Business Planning process for distributors and key retail partners.
- Act as owner of the Chain business
- Remain current with new product launches and ensure all partners are armed with selling materials.
- Hire, train, coach, develop and motivate a dynamic sales team with a culture of exceeding stretch goals and doing the right thing in the process
- Translate overall company strategy into individual/departmental goals and ensure that relevant key metrics are communicated to staff.
EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Proven success rising through the sales or account management ranks of organizations known for their brand, sales performance, preferably with experience in the craft beer industry. Beverage Alcohol experience a must
- 7+ years of experience with at least 5 years in a leadership role, managing a high-performing sales or trade marketing team in a relevant business with experience acting as both a player-coach and a coach.
- Proven experience in all segments of the market including chains, independent, and on-premise
- Proven ability to develop, execute, measure and optimize sales strategies that drive meaningful results.
- Experience building, mentoring and leading high-performance sales teams.
- Proven ability to identify, implement and leverage data to create a compelling sales story for retailers and distributors
- Experience with key tools and levers that drive sales performance – CRM systems, Pricing, Promotions, Referral Programs, Accountant Management best practices, etc.
- Proven ability to establish and build relationships across all tiers
- Excellent negotiation and analytical skills with ability to influence customers to accomplish goals
- Knowledge of market and industry trends, competitors, and leading customer strategies.
- Willingness to work flexible and extended hours, including frequent travel.
- Data Driven Growth/Optimization/Scale Mindset: Has an ability to both develop a strategy and lead an organization through execution. Eager to take on new challenges with open-mindedness and a winning-mindset, while respecting team, peers, and leaders. Can think high and low. Possesses the intellectual horsepower/problem solving ability to lead the charge on tackling complex problems. Uses data/analytics to drive business decision-making and pushes the organization to build out BI/analytics capability and drives cross-functional partnership across sales and marketing, maximizing efficiency.
- Team Leadership: Passionate, high integrity leader who can grasp and drive The Bruery DNA. Has a bias for the importance of talent and training, and possesses the energy, sincerity and drive to engage and build meaningful relationships, grounded in trust, with a diverse and distributed team. Genuinely excited to spend time in the field, with the team and customers, and always know the “pulse” of each. Balances inspiration and accountability. Embodies and drives the core values. Leads with calm during times of stress.
- Ownership and Mastery of Craft: Focused on outcomes. Able to deliver on commitments while installing the right amount of process to enable steady performance. Flexible in approach to deliver quality and brand excellence, in the face of high growth and unexpected twists and turns. A relentless execution expert with confidence in her/his expertise in core areas. Always learning, optimizing and improving.
- Collaboration and Influencing: Will have the gravitas, willingness, and ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization. Facilitates connection and collaboration across the business. Brings the “playbook” to the table but has the flexibility and humbleness to adapt to business and stakeholder needs. Will contribute skill and experience with generosity, and be willing to work with anyone to drive real business impact. Balances strong quantitative and analytical skills with the emotional intelligence needed to influence organizational outcomes.
- Effective Communication Skills: High integrity, no-nonsense approach. Knows how to communicate through the brand voice and at all levels of the organization. Understands how to communicate through a decentralized organization. Quick and to the point. Welcomes radical candor from above and below. An active listener.
- Innovation and Entrepreneurialism: Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Relentless focus on improvement and raising the bar. Leans in harder when times are good. Balances scrappiness and execution with business maturity, prioritization and thoughtfulness. Is curious, agile, a self-starter and welcomes challenge as a conduit to improvement. Can be creative with resources and has a history of getting things done in complex environments and flat hierarchies.